Sunday, January 14, 2018

Changing Priorities & GwG Slack Team

Because I have a couple wide-open days coming up, I don't feel too badly that my priorities got changed today. Car repairs and a couple other things. Which meant that my "FOR SURE, at least 3 hours of Lesson work" mentioned in yesterday's post just didn't happen today.

In a way, in addition to about an hour poking around on the GwG Slack team, I actually did do a little bit related to websites and HTML.

I'm in the midst of working with several other people to organize and launch The Hive, a network of like-minded and complementary-minded people focused initially on NE Wisconsin. Did some content and formatting work on the blog/website for The Hive today. Had to smile when my early Udacity Lessons paid off while making a couple HTML changes on our site. Went right to the Mozilla Developer Network resource linked by Udacity in the course. Quickly found the HTML formatting info I needed, went back to the site and made the changes we wanted.

So even though I didn't complete any additional Udacity Lessons today, I did reinforce the learning from early Lessons... :)

But speaking of the GwG Slack team, I went to the channel for Wisconsin people and Slack only would let me see the ten most recent messages. Slack and/or Udacity is trying to squeeze money out of the people awarded GwG scholarships. There was a message saying I had to pay for Slack if I wanted to see more of the previous Wisconsin channel messages.

When I was in the Wisconsin channel two days ago, I looked at 50 - 100 previous messages, right back to when Nick launched the channel. Learned a lot about Wisconsin people in the GwG program. If someone checking out the Wisconsin channel today for the first time could only see what I saw, they would learn almost nothing regarding the Wisconsin GwG people. And that's a shame. Very poor way to set up the Slack team/channel free restrictions. Doesn't feel like an appropriate business model for Udacity and/or Slack, especially if they're trying to promote active participation by GwG people in the various communication channels.

Might mention it to Nick B, but I'm pretty sure he's already aware of the Slack limits/permissions for free usage...

New day tomorrow!

-----


No comments:

Post a Comment